If you have a roof leak or even think it might be a leak from your roof, first thing to do is call Roof Crafters. Below, Roof Crafters has a list of common problems to check before a roofing service technician comes out. Below you will find a list and pictures of each common problem that will make you think you have a roof leak when in fact it is not related to the roofing system. When you have checked the things on the following list and you are convinced it is a roofing system matter, please fill out the service authorization form below and give us a call for a service technician to come out and inspect your roof. Roof Crafters is happy to come out and check your roof. If Roof Crafters makes a service call and the leak is not related to the roofing system installed by Roof Crafters there will be a $125.00 service fee. If Roof Crafters finds a leak to be unrelated to the roofing system and Roof Crafters is able to make the repair, a fee will be discussed and if you would like the issue repaired Roof Crafters, after acceptance of the fee will make the repair.
Roof Leak: Common Leak Issues
There is a short list of common roof leak issues to check before a service technician comes to your home. Around 50% of roof leak callbacks are unrelated to the roofing service and here you can find the short list of leak issues to check yourself.
- A/C pan in the attic overflow. The A/C overflow pan and A/C lines in the attic are one of the most common problems seen on a roof leak call back. Go in your attic and see if the pan under the A/C unit is full of water. If the pan has water you should immediately call a air conditioning repair company.
- Gutters and downspouts full of debris and clogged. Another very common leak issue is gutters full or leaves and debris. Everything from tennis balls to leaves and pine straw will clog up downspouts and fill the gutters to the point they overflow. When gutters and downspouts get clogged, water will flow backwards and go under the shingles and make it appear that you have a roof leak. Make sure you check the gutters as well as your downspouts to be sure they are free of debris.
- Cracked bricks and mortar in chimney. Cracked bricks and old cracked mortar are very common problems that will make you think you have a roof leak. This one you may not be able to check on your own, but if the leak is near or around the chimney be prepared for a service call fee and repair bill on this one. Over time chimneys must be worked and reworked depending on age.
- Chimney cap cracked and leaky. Older chimney caps must be replaced from time to time. A chimney cap is another leak issue that you may not be able to handle on your own depending on your age and the pitch of your roof. If it is not safe to inspect your roof and chimney never do so, call a roofing professional. This is another roof maintenance issue that will have to be paid for and must be done from time to time when you have a chimney.
- Stucco around the chimney and wall is another very common area that will make you think you have a roof leak. Stucco over time will get cracks and this allows water to enter the home. Stucco around the chimney and the sidewalls are very prone to leak water when it is aged. This is another problem you may not be able to access on your own.
- Brick wall pulling away from home. The brick wall can literally pull away from the home, when this happens it will allow water to come in and in many cases homeowners think the roof is leaking. Over time homes settle and can cause this issue to happen.
- Skylights are notorious for leaking. Older skylights are very prone to leak around the frame and the glass itself depending on the age of the skylight. Sometimes skylight leaks can be repaired however it’s best to just replace the skylight and get rid of the leak for good.
If you have checked these common problems and would like to schedule a roofing technician to come out asses and repair your roof, fully aware if the leak is NOT due to the roofing system there will be a service charge. Please fill out the form below and call the Roof Crafters office at 225-667-1189. Please check one of the boxes for service. We cannot process and get on your roof without an authorization to do so. The below form gives Roof Crafters permission to come to your home, get on your roof and do an inspection for the leak you called in about. Roof Crafters will determine the cause of the leak and report to you, the homeowner. No repairs will be done without the proper content box checked below.
Roof Crafters LLC will inspect the reported problem. Roof Crafters LLC will repair the issue, free of charge, if, under its sole discretion, Roof Crafters determines the issue to be warranty related. Non-Warranty repairs performed by Roof Crafters are based on Roof Crafters’ visual inspection and investigation of the area reported problem and will be charged based on prevailing wages, plus materials, based on Roof Crafters’ charge scale. Unless otherwise agreed, Roof Crafters will only perform a visual inspection, and cannot guarantee that no additional problems will be discovered once repairs begin. Customer acknowledges and understands that, after Roof Crafters commences its work, new or additional problems may be uncovered that were not discovered by Roof Crafters visual inspection and that the price and time to complete the repairs may be increased as a result of such problems. No consequential or related damages, interior or exterior, are covered under any warranty. Customer further acknowledges and agrees that Roof Crafters is not responsible for damages or leaks due to existing conditions or existing sources of leakage simply because Roof Crafters started work or performed repair work.
WARRANTY REPAIRS MAINTAIN THE ORIGINAL WARRANTY ISSUED BY ROOF CRAFTERS LLC IN CONNECTION WITH THE ORIGINAL CONTRACT. UNLESS OTHERWISE AGREED, ALL SUCH WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, ARE EXPRESSLY EXCLUDED AND DISCLAIMED. ROOF CRAFTERS SHALL NOT BE LIABLE FOR INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES OR INJURIES INCLUDING ALLEGED DAMAGE TO THE BUILDING, OR ANY COMPONENTS OR CONTENTS THEREOF, MOLD, MILDEW, LOSS OF USE, RENTAL INCOME OR PERSONAL PROPERTY.
2770 West Church St Hammond, LA 70401 || 225.667.1189 Office || 888.846.1558 Fax